Dr. Renetta Garrison Tull is Associate Vice Provost for Graduate Student Development & Postdoctoral Affairs at the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC: An Honors University in Maryland.) She is the former Assistant Dean for Graduate Student Development, and she is the Founding Director of PROMISE: Maryland’s Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP), a program of the National Science Foundation.
Unabridged Curriculum Vita: Renetta Tull’s CV
Website for PROMISE: http://www.umbc.edu/promise/
Renetta Tull works with both faculty and students. She is trained as an engineer and speech scientist, but as an Assistant Dean, she has been a speaker and participant of programs of other disciplines such as the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences in the School of Pharmacy at the University of Maryland Baltimore, La Escuela de Asuntos Ambientales (The School of Environmental Sciences) at Universidad Metropolitana in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and the American Institute of Mathematics in Palo Alto, California. Dr. Tull’s greatest joys come when she is able to help students to achieve their goals and dreams.
Renetta Tull is a former member of the board for the Northeastern Association of Graduate Schools. She is a regular speaker at universities (e.g., MIT and Cornell), and at conferences such as the National Society of Black Engineers and the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers. She is the Co-PI for the ADVANCE Hispanic Women in STEM project and works with the “Women in STEM” project for the Latin and Caribbean Association for Engineering Institutions (LACCEI).
- Women in STEM – LACCEI, Co-Chair: http://www.laccei.org/index.php/initiatives/women-in-stem
- Activities at the World Engineering Education Forum (Summary 1-page paper, included): http://www.laccei.org/index.php/initiatives/women-in-stem/women-in-stem-activities
- Mentoring page for The Dissertation House: http://dissertationhouse.wordpress.com/coaching-and-mentoring/dr-renetta-tull/
- GEM Award Press Release: http://www.umbc.edu/blogs/umbcnews/2008/10/renetta_tull_assistant_dean_fo.html
- Blog: https://renettatull.wordpress.com/
Renetta Tull on Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dr-renetta-garrison-tull/4/248/353
Follow Renetta on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Renetta_Tull
Visit PROMISE on Twitter: http://twitter.com/PROMISE_AGEP
- Tull, R. G., Medina, H., Pearlman, J., & Goldberg, M. R. (2013). An Emerging Impact from an Engineering Education Outreach Collaborative “Bridge” Program: Graduate Student Participation in Wheelchair Mobility Research for Mexico. #RP207, Proceedings of the Eleventh LACCEI Latin American and Caribbean Conference for Engineering and Technology (LACCEI’2013) “Innovation in Engineering, Technology and Education for Competitiveness and Prosperity,” August 14 – 16, 2013, Cancun, Mexico.
- Carter-Johnson, F. D., Ordóñez Rozo, P., Tull, R. G., and Nino, M. (2013). Examining the Intersection of Graduate Student Funding, Mentoring,and Training as a Mechanism of Success for Peer Mentors and their Mentees, paper ID#7626. 120th Annual Conference of the American Association of Engineering Education, Atlanta: ASEE
- Tull, R. G. (2013, Spring) Optimize Your Summer Research Experience. SHPE – Magazine of the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers. Vol. 15., No. 2. p. 20.
- Imler, C. and Tull, R. (2012, November 30). Stem Tide of Grad Student Losses. The Daily Record (Baltimore, Md.),p. 19.
- Tull, R. G., Rutledge, J.C., Warnick, J. W., and Carter, F. D. (2012). PROMISE: Maryland’s Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate Enhances Recruitment and Retention of Underrepresented Minority Graduate Students. Academic Medicine, 87(11), p. 1562-1569.
- Tull, R. G., and Tull, D. L. (2012, September). A Formula for Success. Optics and Photonic News. [The paper describes “The Success Equation.” Download the PDF.]
- Tull, R. G., Nino, M. and Ramoutar, N. (2012). Preparing for Engineering and Other STEM Graduate/Post-Graduate Masters and Doctoral Programs. Proceedings of the Tenth LACCEI Latin American and Caribbean Conference (LACCEI 2012), Megaprojects: Building Infrastructure by fostering engineering collaboration, efficient and effective integration and innovative planning, July 23-27, 2012, Panama City, Panama. [Spanish Version of Section 4 here:Preparación para Programas de Maestría y Doctorado]
- A. M. Reed and R. G. Tull (2012). Reducing the Bottleneck: Breaking the Bottle! Addressing the Recruitment of Postdocs through Best Practices of AGEP and ADVANCE Horizons Programs. Proceedings of WEPAN 2012, Columbus, OH. Abstract: Webpage
- Rutledge, J.C., Carter-Veale, W.Y. & Tull, R. G. (2011). Successful PhD Pathways to Advanced STEM Careers for Black Women in Beyond Stock Stories and Folktales: African Americans‟ Paths to STEM Fields, Vol. 11., H. T. Frierson and W. F. Tate, Eds. United Kingdom: Emerald Group Publishing Ltd.
- Tull, R. G. (2009, Fall). The ‘Imposter Syndrome’ and How to Avoid it. SHPE Magazine – The Official Magazine of the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, Vol. 11, No. 3.
More publications about PROMISE: Maryland’s AGEP: http://promiseagep.wordpress.com/publications/
Videos & Training: Multicultural/Broadening Participation, Graduate Student Preparation
Tull Video (Center for Ocean Sciences Education Excellence)
Video link will open in a different window.
Tull Resources from COSEE
Tull Video – Renetta Tull presents to students at MIT
Video link will open in a different window.
Tull Blog Posts related to “Professional”
(Click titles to open links)
- My protest against casual emails (“I’m throwing your application away” Part II) April 24, 2012
- Ways that others can help you to prepare for your interviews while you’re completing your dissertation March 12, 2012
- Tribute to a “Brother Mentor” — LaMont Toliver, Director of UMBC’s Meyerhoff Program March 9, 2012
- SLEEP! It’s like “my precious” (~ @drwestmoreland) February 12, 2012
- Don’t be afraid of the hard questions. Talk about your work to all who will listen. February 9, 2012
- Math is hard. So is life. Get over it. (Reminders from my dad and an MIT tee-shirt) February 2, 2012
- I want to defend my doctoral dissertation. How do I get a date from my faculty committee? Six Suggestions, January 20, 2012
- If your email address is “sexyhotdude@_____.__”, I’m throwing your application awayNovember 10, 2011
- Thank you Colleagues of The Graduate School at UMBC for a Great “National Boss Day!”October 19, 2011
- Work Hard, Play Hard … My Staff and I in Puerto Rico September 20, 2011
- My Fall 2011 “Tour” – Going to Puerto Rico, CA, ATL, NY, BostonSeptember 8, 2011
- Don’t panic, it’s true. The GRE for grad school admission changes on 8/1! July 21, 2011
- Working with the Summer Dissertation House at UMBC this weekJuly 8, 2011
- You’re not finished, e.g., Science : Basketball :: Lab : Gym June 24, 2011
- Spring/Summer 2011 Speaking Schedule April 18, 2011
- You’ve just asked for a letter of recommendation … now I need some things from you March 3, 2011
- Grad Student with Spinal Muscular Atrophy Excels! Kavita’s Story January 4, 2011
- Troubled economy? Excited to say that my campus is hiring! December 15, 2010
- I’m part of a “Grad School Admissions & Retention” Revolution. I’m “on tour!” September 20, 2010
- “Adopted” Students & Great Colleagues September 12, 2010
- Health and Wellness Thoughts for Grad Students – Inspired by the University of Maryland College Park’s Dissertation House July 21, 2010
- The Joy of Having Protégés Who Will Surpass You July 2, 2010
- Summer Season for the Dissertation House June 28, 2010
- Summer Project, Part 1: Updating Websites –New Facebook Page for PROMISE June 14, 2010
- Heartfelt Message & 10 tips for Students — From a Mentor June 3, 2010
- Winter Retreat w/our grad students, postdocs, and alums March 4, 2010
- Don’t try, just do it! January 4, 2010
- Tips for Applying to Graduate School November 12, 2009
- California Dreaming – Overcoming the Imposter Syndrome August 5, 2009
- Va. Tech Thoughts pt. 2, An Administrator’s View April 19, 2007
- The Situation at VA Tech April 16, 2007
- Another Ph.D. joins the ranks! April 13, 2007
PROMISE Channel on YouTube
(Includes a series of videos about PROMISE, as well as videos about Dissertation Completion, and other topics.)