Working with the Summer Dissertation House at UMBC this week
This week, I’ve been working with Dr. Wendy Carter (“Head Coach”) as a co-leader for UMBC‘s annual Summer Dissertation House. This event brings together advanced graduate students who have applied for a space in a 4-day workshop on writing the dissertation and preparing for the defense. I blog for the Dissertation House and you can read some of the posts for this week:
- “Good Morning Dissertation House!” — A TV styled interview exercise
- Counseling, Laughter, and Ice Cream: Summer in the Dissertation House
- UMBC Opens the Summer 2011 Dissertation House
The Summer Dissertation House at College will begin on the campus of the University of Maryland College Park in two weeks.
I am co-founder of the Dissertation House, along with Drs. Wendy Carter and Janet Rutledge. The Dissertation House has been acknowledged in:
- Glenn, D. (2010, March 31) “Help to the Finish Line: Ways to Reduce the Numbers of Ph.D. Dropouts”, The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Sowell, R. S., Bell, N. E., & Kirby, S. N. (2010). Ph.D. Completion and Attrition: Policies and Practices to Promote Student Success, Washington, DC: Council of Graduate Schools.
- Chubin, D.E., DePass, A. L., & Blockus, L. (2010). Understanding Interventions the Broaden Participation in Research Careers: Volume III. Embracing a Breadth of Purpose. Washington, D.C.: UnderstandingInterventions.org. “Dissertation House: Graduate Innovation in Ph.D. Completion and Retention” pp. 69-71.
The Dissertation House is sponsored and supported by PROMISE: Maryland’s AGEP (a program of the National Science Foundation), The UMBC Graduate School, The Council of Graduate Schools, The University of Maryland College Park, and the University of Maryland – The Founding Campus (formerly known as the University of Maryland Baltimore.)